MHG12248 - Chapel, Feadain

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (2)

  • CHAPEL (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)
  • CEMETERY (Undated)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NC02SE 1 0771 2496 and 0775 2492.

(NC 0775 2494) Chapel (NR) (Site of) (NC 0771 2498) Grave Yard (NR) (Site of) OS 6"map, Sutherland, 2nd ed., (1907)

Chapel and Graveyard, Feadain: The site of this chapel is said to lie about 25 ft back from N bank of Loch Fasgan-t-Seana Chlaidh, to E of Feadain, near an old rowan tree; but a heap of stones, structureless and featureless, is all that remains.
A small level area in the front of crofter's house, kept uncultivated, is said to be site of graveyard.
RCAHMS 1911.

An ancient chapel of which there are slight traces of foundations visible. Date unknown. The associated burial place is only visible by a slightly raised mound. It has been disused for a considerable time. Name Book 1875.

The site of chapel consists of an amorphous spread of stones, in which no plan or architectural feature can be discerned.
The graveyard is on a platform on higher ground enclosed by a roughly D-shaped bank. There is no outward sign of burials.
Visited by OS (R D L) 11 May 1962.

The turf-covered graveyard is at NC 0770 2496. It measures 12m E-W by 8.5m within a low earth and stone bank, 1.2m wide and 0.4m high. There is no entrance through bank or any surface trace of burials.
While position of graveyard is in no doubt, position of chapel is disputed. OS siting does not correspond with RCAHMS location. A heap of relatively recent stone clearance on sloping ground is all that occurs at or near OS siting. A sub-rectangular feature on the OS 1:10,000 map (1971) seems a more likely location although the remains here are far from conclusive. The position agrees with the RCAHMS siting and is believed to be chapel site by local tenant (Mrs Mathieson, Lochside). The remains are simply an amorphous mound of largely turf-covered stones, 10m N-S by 7m and 0.5m high. No structural features are evident.
Surveyed at 1:10,000. Visited by OS (J B) 11 August 1980.


Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 18, 43 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3348.


RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 6, No. 20 (Text/Report). SHG2657.

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NC 0771 2496 (200m by 200m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NC02SE
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish ASSYNT

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.