MHG12252 - Carved Stone Ball, Stoer
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 1501 BC?)
- None recorded
A carved stone ball of horneblende schist, 2.75" in diameter, with 4 discoid projections, found August 1915 at Stoer (NC 0328), in the vicinity of a small stream by W Munro, crofter, was purchased for NMAS (Acc No: AS 172).
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1917.
- --- Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. AS 172.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Marshall, D N. 1979. 'Carved stone balls', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 108 1976-7, p.40-72. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 40-72. 65.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1917. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 51 1916-17, p.10-15,29-30,98-9,128-9,176-7,198-9. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 10-15,29-30,98-9,128-9,17. 99.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 0300 2800 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- BALL (RITUAL) (Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 1501 BC?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-180-001-387-C& (Link to online NMS collections database)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4503 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.