MHG12276 - Church, Eddrachilles

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NC14SE 1 1652 4208.

(NC 1652 4208) Church (NAT)
OS 6"map, Sutherland, 2nd ed., (1908)

In 1630 Eddrachilles is mentioned as a parish but without a church. In 1728 the parish church was to be built.
Orig Paroch Scot 1855.

Dedicated to St Molrubha.
D MacDonald, A Polson and J Brown 1931.

Eddrachilles: built about 1715, interior recast about 1875.
G Hay 1957.

No services have been held in the church for about the last seven years. It is now administered by Scourie parish but the minister there knew nothing of the history or dedication, nor was he able to say if it would again be used as a church.
Visited by OS (G H P) 20 June 1962.

Nothing further was discovered regarding the history of this former church. It is now a holiday home.
Visited by OS (J B) 19 May 1980.


MacDonald, Polson and Brown, D, A and J, {1931}, The book of Ross, Sutherland and Caithness, Orkney and Shetland: descriptive, historical and antiquarian notes, 133 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2437.


OPS, 1855, Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland, 697 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG342.


Hay, G, 1957, The architecture of Scottish post-Reformation churches, 1560-1843, 276 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2307.

Sources/Archives (3)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NC 1651 4208 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NC14SE
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish EDDRACHILLIS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.