MHG12298 - Broch, Dalchork
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
NC51SE 8 5725 1116.
Broch (NR) (Remains of) OS 1:10,000 map (1970)
Dalchork, Loch Shin, NC51SE0008
In contrast to the other two brochs around Loch Shin, Sallachy and Shinness, Dalchork sits away from the loch shore within the marshy valley of the River Tirry. Like Shinness, it survives simply as a grass covered mound, located on top of the level summit of a natural knoll. (49)
Its size and distinctive profile confirm that it is a broch, even without the short stretch of walling visible on one side. At some point in the last few centuries, a well-preserved kiln for drying corn has been dug into the edge of the mound. Associated with the kiln are the footings of two small rectangular structures and a number of field walls. (63)
Armit, I., 1997. Celtic Scotland. Edinburgh: Batsford.
Gourlay, R., 1996. Sutherland. An Archaeological Guide. Edinburgh: Birlinn.
RCAHMS. 1911. Sutherland. Edinburgh: HMSO, 136, No. 394.
Information from SCRAN Project, March, 2000
The remains of a broch standing on the flat summit of a knoll some 9.1m high above formerly marshy houghland. The external wall stood to a height of 0.6m in 1873 (Name Book 1873), but the remains now consist of a mound, about 17m in diameter, of small stones, the larger having been removed. The only structural feature visible is walling on the west side. A berm surrounds the broch about 2m above ground level on the south side while the rubble mass has a maximum height of 2.7m above the berm. There are indications of ditching on NW and SW of the berm. About 20m NE of the centre is a well-preserved kiln, stone-lined and 1.2m deep, with the outline of a small rectangular structure about 5m by 2.5m on its east side. The stone footings of a wall extend from the kilns SW side to the limit of the debris tumble on NE side of the broch and overlying the berm. Immediately to S of S side of the berm is the stony outline of a second rectangular structure measuring about 11m by 4m.
Resurveyed at 1:2500.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909; Name Book 1873; Visited by OS (EGC) 26 June 1963
No change to previous field report.
Revised at 25" and 1:10 000 Visited by OS (JB) 13 August 1976
As previously described, but further details can be added. Firstly, wall which extends from kiln to limits of debris on NE side of broch overlies a stone wall which extends from N side of top of the broch mound down to the edge of the beron which it then follows before terminating in E, to N of a quarry.
Secondly, a small rectangular building measuring 3 by 1.3m internally, over walls 0.6m wide overlies the rectangular structure to the south of the broch mound. A stone wall, 0.9m wide, extends from NW corner of this building, in a north westerly direction towards the river's edge.
Surveyed at 1:250 Visited by RCAHMS (JRS) 17 October 1989.
NC51 2 DALCHORK
Possible broch in Lairg, Sutherland, standing on the flat summit of an apparently artificial knoll amidst flat farmland and about 9m (30ft) above the river. The surrounding ground was once marshy . The mound covering the ruined building – 17m in diameter and up to 2.7m high – is now featureless except for some walling on the west side; it occupies the centre of the flat summit of the knoll. The knoll surface itself is about 2m above the surrounding ground level and the descript-ions suggest that there are traces of ditches around it. There is a presumably recent kiln about 20m north-east of the centre and there are signs of enclosures on the north and east sides, coming up to the edge of the broch . This site seems to be an outlying example of the 'mound on mound' type commonly found in Caithness .
Sources: 1. NMRS site no. NC 51 SE 8: 2. RCAHMS 1911a, 136, no. 394: 3. Mercer 1980, 119, site DAL 181b (the grid reference given here, 573182, does not fit with position of the site on the OS map). <1>
Alistair Jupp of Tain and District Museum notes that the colour photograph linked to this record appears not to be this site. <2>
The link has been removed. The photograph appears to be of MHG11493, homestead in Dalchork Forest. <3>
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Mercer, R. J. & Howell, J.M.. 1980. Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland, 1976-1979. University of Edinburgh. 30/01/1980. Paper and Digital. 119, No. DAL 181b.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Highland Council Archaeology Unit. HCAU Slide Collection: images 5777 to 14371. Colour slide. . Digital (scanned). Slides 6853, 6854, 7230, 7231.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 136, No. 394.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 31, 20.
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Mackie, E.. 2007. The Roundhouses, Brochs and Wheelhouses of Atlantic Scotland c.700 BC - AD 500: Architecture and material culture Part 2 (I & II) The Northern and Southern Mainland and the Western Islands. BAR British Series. 444. Paperback. NC51 2 DALCHORK.
- <2> Text/Correspondence: Private individual. 2008-11. Feedback from website visitor. Yes. Digital. Alistair Jupp, 05/12/2011.
- <3> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer. 09/12/2011.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 5725 1116 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5254 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.