MHG45697 - Broch, Dalchork


No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CORN DRYING KILN (Undated)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NC51SE 8 5725 1116.
Broch (NR) (Remains of) OS 1:10,000 map (1970)
Dalchork, Loch Shin, NC51SE0008

In contrast to the other two brochs around Loch Shin, Sallachy and Shinness, Dalchork sits away from the loch shore within the marshy valley of the River Tirry. Like Shinness, it survives simply as a grass covered mound, located on top of the level summit of a natural knoll. (49)

Its size and distinctive profile confirm that it is a broch, even without the short stretch of walling visible on one side. At some point in the last few centuries, a well-preserved kiln for drying corn has been dug into the edge of the mound. Associated with the kiln are the footings of two small rectangular structures and a number of field walls. (63)

Armit, I., 1997. Celtic Scotland. Edinburgh: Batsford.
Gourlay, R., 1996. Sutherland. An Archaeological Guide. Edinburgh: Birlinn.
RCAHMS. 1911. Sutherland. Edinburgh: HMSO, 136, No. 394.
Information from SCRAN Project, March, 2000

The remains of a broch standing on the flat summit of a knoll some 9.1m high above formerly marshy houghland. The external wall stood to a height of 0.6m in 1873 (Name Book 1873), but the remains now consist of a mound, about 17m in diameter, of small stones, the larger having been removed. The only structural feature visible is walling on the west side. A berm surrounds the broch about 2m above ground level on the south side while the rubble mass has a maximum height of 2.7m above the berm. There are indications of ditching on NW and SW of the berm. About 20m NE of the centre is a well-preserved kiln, stone-lined and 1.2m deep, with the outline of a small rectangular structure about 5m by 2.5m on its east side. The stone footings of a wall extend from the kilns SW side to the limit of the debris tumble on NE side of the broch and overlying the berm. Immediately to S of S side of the berm is the stony outline of a second rectangular structure measuring about 11m by 4m.
Resurveyed at 1:2500.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909; Name Book 1873; Visited by OS (EGC) 26 June 1963

No change to previous field report.
Revised at 25" and 1:10 000 Visited by OS (JB) 13 August 1976

As previously described, but further details can be added. Firstly, wall which extends from kiln to limits of debris on NE side of broch overlies a stone wall which extends from N side of top of the broch mound down to the edge of the beron which it then follows before terminating in E, to N of a quarry.
Secondly, a small rectangular building measuring 3 by 1.3m internally, over walls 0.6m wide overlies the rectangular structure to the south of the broch mound. A stone wall, 0.9m wide, extends from NW corner of this building, in a north westerly direction towards the river's edge.
Surveyed at 1:250 Visited by RCAHMS (JRS) 17 October 1989.

Sources/Archives (7)



Grid reference Centred NC 5725 1115 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NC51SE
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish LAIRG

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.