MHG12339 - Chapel, Klibreck
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAPEL (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)
NC53SE 5 5930 3400
See also NC53SE 3 and 4.
Foundations, Klibreck: About 40ft W of standing stone (NC53SE 4) are foundations of a smll rectangular building. The outline is now somewhat indefinite. Externally measurement is about 21ft over all; internally it seems to be about 12ft E-W by 10ft transversely. At NE corner there is a large mass of debris, suggesting some additional structure. Numerous large stones protrude from ground in vicinity, but none of them, so far as ascertainable, bear any symbols. RCAHMS 1911
Close to the cross-stone at Klibreck are foundations of a small building said to be a chapel.
J Horsburgh 1870; Orig Paroch Scot 1855; H Morrison 1883
NC 5930 3400. Some 12m W of cross stone are remains of a small rectangular structure, outlined by a slight bank of earth and stone some 0.1m high. It measures approximately 6m E-W by 5m. There are indications of an irregularly-shaped yard or enclosure measuring some 19m E-W by 6m at its W and and by 12m at its E end, abutting on the N side of the small structure near its E end. There is no evidence that this is a chapel.
Visited by OS (WDJ) 6 May1961
(NC 5930 3400) Chapel (NR) (site of) OS 6" map (1963)
The possible chapel site is as described by previous field investigator. No suggestion of a structure is now apparent by mound of stones noted by RCAHMS, which is 2.5m across by 0.3m high. The site, which is now considerably masked by moss and rushes, and fairly damp seems a poor location for a permanent dwelling. The close proximity of the cross slab (NC53SE 4) must lend weight to possibility of it being a chapel site.
Visited by OS (JB) 30 June 1980.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Horsburgh, J. 1870. 'Notes of cromlechs, duns, hut-circles, chambered cairns, and other remains, in the County of Sutherland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 7, 1866-8, pp 271-9. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 271.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Morrison, H. 1883. Tourist's guide to Sutherland and Caithness. 92.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 86, No. 249.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: OPS. 1855. Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland. 2/2. 708.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 5929 3400 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM6592 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5302 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.