MHG12373 - Achadh an Eas
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- SETTLEMENT (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NC63NE 5 centred on 667 371.
(NC 667 371) Achadh an Eas (NAT) OS 6"map, (1963)
The extensive remains of Achadh an Eas, a depopulated settlement, which had a Presbyt'ian mission church or meeting-house with a graveyard (NC 6668 3755). A reference to Auchness appears in 1656 when its 'town' - probably meaning 'farm' - and lands are mentioned (OPS 1855) In 1726 it is referred to as a farm and no meeting-house is mentioned, that for Upper Strathnaver being at Ceann-na-coille (NC64SE 21) (OPS 1855). In 1747 it is shown as four buildings with arable (Roy 1747-55), but had obviously become much more extensive by the time it was cleared in 1814-19 (Prebble 1963). The graveyard was disused and the meeting-house in ruins by 1873 (ONB 1873).
W Roy 1747-55; Orig Paroch Scot 1855; Name Book 1873; W Macfarlane 1906-8; J Prebble 1873.
There are forty or more building foundations, some with structural divisions, ranging in size from 4.0 by 3.0m to 30.0 by 4.0m and numerous enclosures. Two kilns were identified at NC 6693 3740 and NC 6707 3723. Run-rig cultivation is present. The graveyard has been renovated and was in use until recently.
Visited by OS (J M) 13 April 1977.
A township comprising ten roofed and twenty-two unroofed buildings, one of which is marked as a ruined meeting house, five scattered enclosures, a field-system and a head-dyke, is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1878, sheet liv). Two roofed and fifty unroofed buildings, twenty-four scattered enclosures, a field-system and a head-dyke are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,000 map (1987).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 9 October 1995
The settlement was subject to walkover and basic survey by Glasgow University (GUARD) in 2007 as part of the Strathnaver Province Archaeology Project. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Mitchell, Sir A and Clark, J T (eds.). 1906-8. Geographical collections relating to Scotland. Vol. 1, 188.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Prebble, J. 1963. The Highland clearances. 85-93, 103.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Roy, W. 1747-55. Military Survey of Scotland. sheet No. 36/3.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 21, 37.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: OPS. 1855. Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland. 2/2. 716.
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Lelong, O. & Gazin-Schwartz, A.. 2007. Strathnaver Province Archaeology Project: Langdale, Grumbeg, Achadh An Eas and The Tulloch: Data Structure Report 2007. Glasgow University (GUARD). 10/12/2007. Paper and Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 6680 3710 (957m by 1106m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5582 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.