MHG12376 - Dail A' Thuraich

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • SETTLEMENT (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NC63NE 53 651 386.

Dailachuraich, Dail a' Churaich or Dail a' Churraich, 'Field of the Boat': the ruins of a few dwellings.
Name Book 1873.

A depopulated area in which the building foundations range from 4m by 2m to 28m by 4m.
Visited by OS 8 May 1961.

Cleared 1814-19. J Prebble 1963.

Published as Dail a' Thuraich. OS 6"map, (1964)

A small township comprising five unroofed buildings is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1878, sheet xliv). Nine unroofed buildings, three unroofed structures, one of which has six compartments, are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,000 map (1987).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 5 October 1995

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NC 6518 3863 (314m by 236m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NC63NE
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish FARR

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.