MHG1238 - Bronze Palstave - Upper Dounreay
Findspot of Bronze Age Palstave.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
A Middle Bronze Age palstave(J M Coles 1966), 5 9/16ins long by 2 3/4ins across the cutting edge, found in a field during agricultural operations on Upper Dounreay (name: ND 003 657), not far from the (chambered) cairns on Cnoc Freiceadain (ND06NW 10 & 11: ND 012 653), was purchased by the NMAS in 1935 (Acc No: DC 120).
J M Coles 1966; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1936.
(South-western palstave). Single find. Palstave, corroded and pitted, cleaned but probably originally green, undercut stop; length 140mm, butt 25mm, stop-height 7mm, cutting edge 70mm, weight 425 gms.
P K Schmidt and C B Burgess 1981.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1966. 'Scottish Middle Bronze Age metalwork', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 97 1963-4, p.82-156. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 82-156. 134.
- --- Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. DC 120.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Schmidt and Burgess, P K and C B. 1981. 'The axes of Scotland and Northern England', Prahistorische Bronzefunde Vol. 9. Prahistorische Bronzefunde. 143, no. 843.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1936. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 70 1935-6, p.14-32, 148-52, 210-16, 311-14, 358-62, 392-400. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 14-32, 148-52, 210-16, 31. 24.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0120 6530 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- PALSTAVE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7850 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.