MHG12421 - Feith Mhor
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC to 560 AD)
- CLEARANCE CAIRN (Undated)
Hut Circle (NR) (NC 615 083) Tumuli (NR)
OS 6"map, Sutherlandshire, 1st ed., (1873)
A hut circle measuring 19ft by 23ft in internal diameter and having an entrance in the SE. The tumuli are 'mounds of the usual type'.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.
A small hut circle, 6.5m NW-SE by 5.5m internal diameter with an entrance 1.0m wide in the SE. The stony mounds to the S and E are field clearance heaps.
Visited by OS (W D J) 3 July 1980.
The hut circle is as described above; the wall is spread to 2.0m and 0.3m high internally. The fiald clearance heaps, 5.0m to 20.0m apart, form a small but well-preserved field system, but no measurable plots are evident.
Visited by OS (J B) 7 October 1980.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 145, No. 417 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 6148 0835 (131m by 98m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:1878 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1878 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5434 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.