MHG12474 - Findspot of symbol stone, Langdale
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- FINDSPOT (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
- INSCRIBED STONE (Pictish to Early Medieval - 300 AD to 1057 AD)
- None recorded
NC64SE 23 69 44.
Part of an incised slab was found on Angus Gunn's farm at the foot of Langdale (NC 69 44 ) during trenching in 1905. The fragment measures 44 ins by 27 ins and is about 3 ins thick. The device, part of a concentric figure resembling the crescent symbol of the sculptured stones, is so clearly and artistically cut that sculptor must have used a sharp iron tool. When found the stone was standing upright on a dry ridge and was sunk so deeply into the ground that is upper end was about 16 ins below surface. At its base lay three rough boulders each weighing about 56 lbs.
A Mackay 1906.
Angus Gunn's son, Hugh, at Langdale, could not remember this slab being discovered, nor did he know its present whereabouts.
Visited by OS (J L D) 11 May 1960.
Class I symbol stone (lost) bearing a horseshoe.
A.Mack 1997 p.141
Langdale, Sutherland, Pictish symbol stone fragment
Measurements: H 1.12m, W 0.69m, D 0.08m
Place of discovery: NC c 6944
Present location: lost.
Evidence for discovery: found during digging at Langdale Farm, upright and with its top some 0.40m below ground surface.
Though thin, this must have been a tall slab, the top of which had broken off before the fragment was found. It bore part of an incised arch symbol decorated by arcs and a spiral.
Date: seventh century.
References: Mackay 1906; Fraser 2008, no 145.
Early Medieval Carved Stones Projects, A Ritchie 2016
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Mackay, A. 1906. 'Notes on a slab with incised cresentic design, stone mould for casting spear-heads, a cup-marked stone, holy-water stoup, and other antiquities in Strathnaver, Sutherlandshire', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 40 1905-6, p.128-33. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 128-33. 128-9; illust.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Thomas, C. 1963. 'The interpretation of the Pictish symbols', Archaeol J Vol. 120 1963, p.31-97. Archaeol J. 31-97. 94.
- --- Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 5694.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Mack, A. 1997. Field guide to the Pictish symbol stones. 141.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 87, No. 253.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Ritchie, J N G. 1985. Pictish symbol stones: a handlist 1985. 14.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 6900 4400 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
- SYMBOL STONE (Pictish - 300 AD to 900 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5694 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.