MHG1250 - Suspension Bridge, Dunbeath


No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • SUSPENSION BRIDGE (Built, 19th Century to Unknown - 1877 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Small suspension footbridge, still in use - HAW 7/2003

ND13SE 74 1562 3040

Cast iron suspension bridge spanning Dunbeath Water. The first edition 6" OS map c.1877 marks a 'Ford' where this tributary (a combination of Allt an Learanaich and the Burn of Houstry) meets Dunbeath Water. The footbridge is first marked on the second edition 25" OS map c.1906 as an alternative crossing point. It would appear that the iron bridge super-structure is largely original; presumably the timber boards and possibly the steel cables have been replaced over time. The bridge retains it's makers mark which is written around the circle in the cross section between the two upright posts. It reads "Wm Smith & Son Ness Iron Works". Ness Iron Works, based in Inverness, were formed in 1872 by W Smith and Son. They also built the Infirmary Footbridge in Inverness (MHG3762). A second contemporary suspension bridge of a less eleborate design lies to the west (see MHG1249) <1>.

Sources/Archives (1)



Grid reference Centred ND 1562 3040 (17m by 10m) (2 map features)
Map sheet ND13SE
Civil Parish LATHERON
Geographical Area CAITHNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.