MHG12536 - Ach A' Chuil
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Undated)
- None recorded
Ach' a' Chuil (NAT) OS 6"map, (1963)
The remains of Ach' a' Chuil, a depopulated settlement which was in existence in 1747, when it is shown to consist of about six buildings with arable (Roy 1747-55). It was cleared in 1814-19.
W Roy 1747-55; Name Book 1873; J Prebble 1963; Visited by OS (E G C) 9 May 1961.
There are appriximately sixteen building foundations, some with structural divisions, ranging in size from 7.0 by 3.0m to 30.0 by 4.0m; also upwards of half-a-dozen enclosures. Two corn-drying kilns were identified at NC 6562 3773 and NC 6574 3773. There is extensive run-rig and a few lazy-beds.
Visited by OS (J M) 16 March 1977.
A township comprising sixteen unroofed buildings, four of which are long buildings, four enclosures and part of a head-dyke is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1878, sheet xliv). One roofed and nineteen unroofed buildings, seven enclosures and boundary and field walling are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,000 map (1987).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 5 October 1995
|Grid reference||Centred NC 6569 3770 (820m by 456m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5560 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.