MHG12577 - Coilreaney
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Situated on a NW facing moderate hillslope, at altitude 107=191 OD, in rough pasture.
Information added by A M Fox, Highland Council Archaeology Unit, 17.04.00.
NC70NE 25 centred on 785 090.
Under the name Kylvrannie, this tenancy was still rented in 1815, but by 1872 only the footings of the buildings remained.
Name Book 1872; R J Adam 1972.
Area NC 785 090. Coilreaney. A large scattered area of depopulation lying to the SE of the junction of the River Brora and the Allt an Tuirc. Within the area are the footings and remains of fourteen rectangular buildings with associated enclosures and four kilns. The buildings vary in size from 31.0m by 4.0m to 6.5m by 3.7m with walls up to 1.7m in height.
Visited by OS (WDJ) 30 April 1964.
A township comprising fourteen unroofed buildings, nine enclosures and a field-system and head-dykes is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1879, sheet xcvii). Thirteen unroofed buildings, eleven enclosures and a field-system and head-dykes are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,000 map (1970).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 1 November 1995
|Grid reference||Centred NC 7870 0898 (1050m by 915m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5822 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.