MHG1259 - Hut Circle, Balcraggie Lodge
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC to 560 AD)
Cairn (NR) OS 6" map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1909)
A quarter of a mile SSE of Balcraggy Lodge and about 100 yds from road is a hut circle, measuring some 28ft diameter within a much broken-down bank of turf and stone. An old stone wall has at one time run along N side of it, and stones appear to have been taken from the inner face of the bank.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910.
Centred ND142302 are four enclosures or hut circles, formed by earth-and-stone banks 0.6m in average height, and varying from 10-12m in diameter. The entrances are in E sides, except for hut at ND 1424 3024, which has its entrance in N. The hut at ND 1429 3023 is that described by RCAHMS (1911) and noted as a cairn on OS 6" map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1909)
Visited by OS (W D J) 25 June 1960.
(ND 142 302) Enclosures (NR) OS 6" map, (1962)
A settlement of four hut circles as described by previous OS field surveyor. About six scattered stone clearance heaps remain. Further evidence of contemporary cultivation has probably been destroyed by more recent cultivation.
Surveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (R L) 15 March 1968.
(ND 142 302) Settlement (NR) OS 25" map, (1970)
A settlement of four hut circles (A - D) accompanied by half a dozen stone clearance heaps. The huts are heather or turf-covered & in case of 'A' and 'B' there is thick growth of bracken.
'A', at ND 1429 3023, measures 9m in diameter within a wall spread from 2.5-3m and varying from 0.5-0.9m high; entrance is in the E. N arc of the hut has been overlaid by an old field wall.
'B', at ND 1424 3024, measures 8.5m in diameter within a wall spread from 2-2.5m and up to 0.7m high. The only suggestion of an entrance is a depression in the N, but it is highly suspect as this arc of the hut has been overlaid by an old field wall.
'C', at ND 1420 3022, measures 10.5 by 9.5m within a wall spread from 2.5-3m and, in W, up to 0.9m high. The entrance is in E, on line of the main axis, and has a lining slab in situ on N edge.
'D', at ND 1412 3021, measures an estimated 9.5m diameter within a wall spread from 2.5-3m and up to 0.5m high. The entrance has probably been in now mutilated E side.
Visited by OS (J M) 19 August 1982.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 65, No. 239 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1422 3027 (268m by 145m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:3521 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM3521 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8212 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.