MHG1262 - Broch, Achorn
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
Broch (NR) OS 6" map, (1962)
In highest of cultivated fields about 1/3 mile WSW of Balcraggy Lodge is a grassy mound containing ruins of a broch. The outline of broch is not recognisable, but diameter of the mound is 70ft and its greatest height, 11ft. Much of the ruin has been removed.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910.
All that is left of this broch is a large, mutilated mound of earth and stone measuring 30m N-S by 27m transversely and some 3.5m high on N side. Approx 6m SE from centre of mound, a small trench has been dug, revealing the rubble core of a wall 1.4m long and 0.6m high; E of this, the base of outer wall face can just be discerned.
Visited by OS (W D J) 25 June 1960.
As described above. Surveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (RL) 14 March 1968.
The mound containing the broch remains is generally as described by previous authorities. The small trench noted, 2m long and 0.8m deep, exposes one side of a mural gallery. There are no other wall faces to be seen.
Visited by OS (J M) 19 August 1982.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 58, No. 214 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Morrison A, 1985, Dunbeath Survey-1984-1985 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG20974.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Morrison A. 1985. Dunbeath Survey-1984-1985. University of Glasgow. . Digital (scanned as PDF).
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 58, No. 214.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1368 3049 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:511 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM511 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8215 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.