MHG12623 - Hut circle - Druim Buidhe
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC to 560 AD)
- CLEARANCE CAIRN (Undated)
- None recorded
A hut-circle, accompanied by a group of from 80 to 100 mounds, lies on W side of Druim Buidhe (NC 66 53), c3 miles S of Borgie Bridge (NC 6684 5873).
The hut circle lies on the lower part of the slope about 300 yards from the river and directly east of an island. It is about 30ft in diameter within a well-defined bank about 6ft thick with a high stone content. A portal stone still stands to left of entrance. What seems to be the ruins of an inner wall on the west suggests that the circle has been reduced in size.
The mounds stretch from the low ground near the river to about 150ft above it.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.
This area has been re-afforested. The hut-circle was not found during field investigation.
Visited by OS (J L D) 29 April 1960.
The site was visited and photographed by D Glass in 2012 and it was noted that felling of the forestry appeared to have been carried out with little or no regard to the archaeological sites. This hut circle lay half in a former forest ride and so some of it remained. <1>
The site of this hut circle had been plotted incorrectly based on a very imprecise grid reference. The GIS spatial data has been amended in 2020 according to its location as described by previous investigators and the possible site as seen on 2015 vertical APs. <2>
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 73, No. 221.
- <1> Text/Correspondence: Glass, D.. 2012. Email regarding felling in Borgie Forest. Unaffiliated. Yes. Digital.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2015. Getmapping aerial photography 2015. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NC 6601 5342 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5767 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.