MHG12630 - Neo Axe, Skerray
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
A stone axe, measuring 8 ins by 3 ins by 1.5/8 ins found at Skerray (NC 66 63) by George MacKay Skerray, was donated to the NMAS by Wm J Mackay, 46 Dalmeny St, Leith in 1933.
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1933.
George MacKay is now deceased and his relatives have no knowledge of the find.
Visited by OS (R L) 30 June 1971.
The NMS has a Neolithic axehead in the collections from Skerray, Tongue (Acc. No. AF 724). It was aquired 1932 and is likely to be the same axehead described above. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1933. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library with exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 67 1932-3, p.9-23, 62-9, 161-4, 224-7, 312-17, 341-2,. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 9-23, 62-9, 161-4, 224-7,. 63.
- <1> Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. AF 724.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 6600 6300 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- AXEHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5776 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.