MHG12637 - Chambered Cairn, Grumbeg
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Now included as part of the Stratnaver Trail site 2. Reconstruction drawings but difficult to define on the ground among later build. Located to have spectacular view to SW along Loch Naver - HAW 4/2004
(NC 63413841) Chambered Cairn (NR) OS 6" map, (1964)
A mound of earth and stones about 13.2m NS by 6.2m EW and 0.6m high. On top of mound at W end are five large slab stones; four of these stones stand on edges, fifth has fallen over. They outline the east, north and south sides of a possible chamber. Only the length of the chamber could be ascertained, being 3.8m N-S. This was noted by Horsburgh (1870) as 'a small cromlech or chamber of a cairn, the covering stone about 8ft long.'
J Horsburgh 1870; Visited by OS (W D J) 9 May 1961.
Described by RCAHMS (1963) as a 'small circle surrounded by a stony bank measuring about 3ft 6ins across'.The interior space now oval, measures 7 x 9ft, the long axis being N-S. There was a space for an entrance on S side. In Horsburgh's (Info from Antiquaries Ms No. 364) MS is a sketch showing a thin capstone supported on at least 4 boulders with rounded, slightly tapering tops, about 2ft 6ins high. There are a number of smaller stones lying around their bases. Siite not located when visited in 1958
RCAHMS 1911; A S HGenshall 1963.
The remains of chambered cairn situated within Grumbeg deserted township, are as described and illustrated by previous OS field investigator. The cairn's original size is not recoverable, the cairn having been robbed, and truncated by agriculture.
Revised at 1/10,000. Visited by OS (J B) 12 April 1977.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Horsburgh, J. 1870. 'Notes of cromlechs, duns, hut-circles, chambered cairns, and other remains, in the County of Sutherland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 7, 1866-8, pp 271-9. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 271.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 67, No. 203.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1972. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 2. 2. Paper (Original). 319, SUT 30.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 6341 3841 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM414 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5596 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.