MHG12657 - Righcopag
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- SETTLEMENT (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NC63NW 29.00 645 356.
(NC 645 356 Righcopag (NAT). OS 6"map, (1964)
Righcopag - a group of ruins on the north side of the Allt Ruigh nan Copag. Name Book 1873.
Righcopag (name verified), a deserted township,comprises two settled areas. The one north of the stream consists of at least eight buildings, averaging 18.0m by 4.0m with walls 0.8m in maximum height, and associated walled vegetable plots, all within a series of boundary walls. The other area, about 400m to the S, is of the same type consisting of six buildings, one at NC 6436 3517 housing a corn drying kiln. Two walled fields lie between the settlements. Within the bounding walls remains of contemporary cultivation in the form of run-rig and clearance heaps are visible. The township was depopulated in 1814 and 1819 (Prebble 1963).
J Prebble 1963; Visited by OS (W D J) 12 May 1961 and (J B) 6 April 1977
A township situated on either side of the Allt Ruigh nan Copag is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1878, sheet liv), and is also shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,560 map (1964).
29.01: 634 357: Township
29.02: 644 352: Farmstead; Enclosures
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 9 October 1995
|Grid reference||Centred NC 6437 3554 (482m by 949m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5616 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.