MHG12658 - Ruighnasealbhaig
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- SETTLEMENT (Undated)
- None recorded
NC63NW 3 618 360.
(NC 618 360) Ruighnasealbhaig (NAT)
OS 6"map, (1964)
The extensive remains of Ruighnasealbhaig, a depopulated clachan, which was cleared in 1819. The name would appear to equate with the 'Richallvag' shown by Roy (1747-55) at NC 616 353, in which case the village presumably post-dates 1747.
The remains consist of building foundations, banks, enclosures and piles of stones. The buildings range from about 5m by 3m to 26m by 4m with walls standing to a maximum height of 1m.
Name Book 1873; J Prebble 1963; Visited by OS (W D J) 12 May 1961.
Ruighnasealbhaig (name verified) a deserted township as described above. There are remains of at least twentyone buildings along with associated kail yards and enclosures.
Visited by OS (J B) 18 April 1977.
A township comprising twenty-four unroofed buildings, fourteen enclosures and a head-dyke is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1878, sheet liv). Twenty-one unroofed buildings, at least eighteen enclosures and a head-dyke are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,560 map (1964).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 9 October 1995
|Grid reference||Centred NC 6172 3614 (636m by 577m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5617 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.