MHG12666 - Graveyard etc, Grumbeg
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CEMETERY (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
Cross slabs are in the Strathnaver Museum, along with a possible cup-marked stone.
NC63NW 8 6347 3837.
(NC 6347 3837) Old Burial Ground (NAT) OS 6"map, (1964)
'Sutherland Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855
Monumental inscription survey completed by A.S.Cowper & I.Ross.
The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuracies. First published 1989, reprinted 1991, 1996 & 1999.
J Aitken : 20/12/02
An ancient burial ground of the Aberach MacKays, from which have come two cross-incised slabs and a cup-marked stone (See NC63NW 31).
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.
In 1909 the cross-incised stones were preserved on top of the east wall of the burial ground, but by 1961 they had disappeared. One stone, 2ft 4ins long, 7ins broad, and 6ins thick, bore at one end a cross, 11ins long whose upper and lower elements are longer than the lateral arms. The foot had a heart-shaped termination but the other arms ended in semicircular expansions. The other stone, similar in shape, was 3ft long with, incised on the face, an 8ins square subdivided by four intersecting lines, forming four small connected crosses. The burial ground itself lies on a rock knoll and is littered with slab-covered graves but nothing potentially Early Christian was noted by MacDonald. (See also NC63NW 9 St Martin's Well).
A MacDonald and L Laing 1973; Visited by OS (W D J) 13 May 1961.
The graveyard is no longer in use. It is divided into two sections; the rectangular part to the S according to Mr Maclennan (shepherd, Grumbeg, Strathnaver) is a private burial ground of the Mackays although it strongly resembles a ruined chapel or meeting house. Numerous unmarked slabs lie within both parts of the burial ground, but the cross slabs could not be located.
Visited by OS (J B) 12 April 1977.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 86, Nos. 250-2 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
Macdonald and Laing, A D S and L R, 1973, 'Early ecclesiastical sites in Scotland: a field survey, part II', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 102 1969-70, p.129-45, 134 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG692.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 86, Nos. 250-2.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Macdonald and Laing, A D S and L R. 1973. 'Early ecclesiastical sites in Scotland: a field survey, part II', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 102 1969-70, p.129-45. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 129-45. 134.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 6347 3837 (200m by 200m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:414 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM414 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5625 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.