MHG12702 - Cup marked stone, Lochan Hakel
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CUP MARKED STONE (Undated)
- None recorded
NC55SE 2 5619 5271.
(NC 5619 5271) Cup-marked Stone (NR)
OS 6" map (1961)
A large, earth-fast boulder 5ft long as far as is exposed and 3ft 10ins broad, bearing on the upper surface 18 cup marks of various depths of which the most distinct, 3ins in diameter and 1in deep, is towards the N. The whole length of the stone is not visible but the markings do not seem to extend to the covered portion.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909; H Morrison 1883 <1> <2>
A cup-marked rock, as described by the RCAHMS.
Visited by OS (JLD) 22 April 1960
No change to the RCAHMS report.
Visited by OS (JM) 11 October 1978
The stone was photographed in 1991 by a member of the Highland regional council. <3> <4>
The stone was photographed by D Glass in October 2009.
<1> RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 186 No. 542 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
<2> Morrison, H, 1883, Tourist's guide to Sutherland and Caithness, 98-99 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2538.
<3> Highland Regional Council, 1999, Lochan Hakel, cup marked stone (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG8554.
<4> Lochan Hakel, cup marked stone (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG8553.
- <1> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 186 No. 542.
- <2> Text/Publication/Volume: Morrison, H. 1883. Tourist's guide to Sutherland and Caithness. 98-99.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): Highland Regional Council. 1999. Lochan Hakel, cup marked stone. B/W Negative. . Original & digital.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s): Lochan Hakel, cup marked stone. B/W Negative. .
|Grid reference||Centred NC 5618 5271 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5356 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.