MHG12715 - Feulsaid


No summary available.

Type and Period (4)

  • TOWNSHIP (Undated)
  • HEAD DYKE (Undated)
  • ENCLOSURE (Undated)
  • CORN DRYING KILN (Undated)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Centred on 593 526

Feulsaid. Described in 1874 as 'the ruins of dwelling houses and offices', the name being given as 'Folmhaisaite'; this was changed to 'Fallside' on the authority of three local informants for the revision of 1894, but the authority for the subsequent change of name to Feulside which appears on current OS maps is not known, the relevant Revision Name Book having been destroyed during World War II.
Name Book, 1874 (re-used in 1894)

A minor deserted settlement comprising two longhouses, 40.0m by 5.5m and 24.0m by 5.0m, associated enclosures and a corn-drying kiln, grouped within a head-dyke. At NC 5910 5300 is a further, outlying longhouse, 24.0m by 5.0m and a subsidiary building. The name could not be verified.
Visited by OS (JM) 10 November 1978.

A small township, comprising five unroofed buildings and two enclosures, is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1878, sheet xxv). It is shown as three unroofed long buildings, of which one is sub-divided, and an enclosure on the current edition of the OS 1:10,000 map (1990).
Information from RCAHMS (FO) 18 August 1995.

Sources/Archives (1)



Grid reference Centred NC 5929 5260 (100m by 100m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NC55SE
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish TONGUE

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (3)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.