MHG12718 - Royal Hunting Lodge, Grianan
No summary available.
Type and Period (3)
- HUNTING LODGE (Norse to Medieval - 800 AD to 1559 AD)
- (Alternate Type) CASTLE (Norse to Medieval - 800 AD to 1559 AD)
- (Alternate Type) BUILDING (Norse to Medieval - 800 AD to 1559 AD)
NC55SE 4 5695 5268.
Grianan (NR) OS 6" map (1961)
'Grianan' is name given to remains of a small rectangular building which occupies the greater part of an islet in Lochan Hacoin or Hakel, and is traditionally said to have been a hunting-seat of Hacon, king of Norway (1217-63) after whom the loch is named.
The walls are 6-7ft thick and 5-6ft high, of unmortared thin flat stones, and enclose an area 19 by 22ft. There are no indications of doors, windows, floors or vaulting, nor is there any sign of the causeway which is said to have connected islet with the shore 50 yards away.
There is no evidence to suggest that the islet is artificial as is suggested by Mr Mackay (Info from Evander MacKay of Farr Schoolhouse)
F O Blundell 1913; RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909; J Horsburgh 1870
The ruins of a rectangular building inaccessible at time of visit. Visited by OS (JLD) 22 April 1977
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Horsburgh, J. 1870. 'Notes of cromlechs, duns, hut-circles, chambered cairns, and other remains, in the County of Sutherland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 7, 1866-8, pp 271-9. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 276.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 184-5, No. 531.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Blundell, F O. 1913. 'Further notes on the artificial islands in the Highland area', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 47 1912-13, p.257-302. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 257-302. 284.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Grianan, castle, general view. B/W Negative. .
|Grid reference||Centred NC 5695 5268 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1897 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5374 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.