MHG12719 - Cup & Ring marked stone, Lochan Hakel
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CUP AND RING MARKED STONE (Undated)
NC55SE 5 5699 5264.
(NC 5699 5264) Cup and Ring Stone (NR)
OS 6" map (1961)
A large earth-fast boulder whose flat upper surface bears thirty-four cup-marks of which eleven are surrounded by rings. Eight of the markings are well-defined and of these the clearest is 3ins. across by 1 1/4ins. deep with a ring 7ins. in diameter. Local tradition says the markings were made by the high heels of a fairy who lived nearby.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909; J Horsburgh 1870
A large, weathered cup and ring marked rock as described.
Visited by OS (JLD) 22 April 1960
No change to RCAHMS report.
Visited by OS (JM) 11 October 1978
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Horsburgh, J. 1870. 'Notes of cromlechs, duns, hut-circles, chambered cairns, and other remains, in the County of Sutherland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 7, 1866-8, pp 271-9. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 277.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 187, No. 541.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 5699 5263 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1806 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5375 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.