MHG12720 - Uaigh Dhiarmaid
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CLEARANCE CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
NC55SE 6 5828 5152.
(NC 5828 5152) Uaigh Dhiarmaid (NAT) OS 6" map (1961)
Uaigh Dhiarmaid - Dermid's Grave - is a mound or tumulus which is said to be the burial place of the Fingalian hero, Dermid.
Name Book 1874
A long earthen mound, apparently natural, with rowan tree growing on top. It is called Diarmad's Grave.
J Horsburgh 1870
Dhiarmid's Grave is a long bank, now grass-covered, but apparently composed of small stones. It measures 59ft along central ridge, the northern 48ft lying N-S, and the remainder SSE-NNW. At the change of direction it is 11ft wide, but about 19ft from the S end and 17ft from the N it gradually increases in bulk until, at the centre, it is 14ft wide and 3ft 3ins high.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909
A mound of stones, apparently of no great antiquity, lying in the middle of a cleared field and therefore probably a field clearance heap. Visited by OS (JLD) 23 May 1960
No change to the preceding field report.
Visited by OS (JM) 26 September 1978
Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 12, 54 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3342.
Horsburgh, J, 1870, 'Notes of cromlechs, duns, hut-circles, chambered cairns, and other remains, in the County of Sutherland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 7, 1866-8, pp 271-9, 277 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1182.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 185-6 No. 536 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Horsburgh, J. 1870. 'Notes of cromlechs, duns, hut-circles, chambered cairns, and other remains, in the County of Sutherland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 7, 1866-8, pp 271-9. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 277.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 185-6 No. 536.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 12, 54.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 5828 5151 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5376 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.