MHG12724 - Kinloch Lodge Cairn
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Re-scheduling details - HAW 2/2004
NC55SW 1 5498 5260.
Chambered Cairn (NR) OS 6" map (1961)
An Orkney-Cromarty type round cairn with a polygonal chamber, lying on the upper slopes of the hill. Its present diameter is about 38ft but it has been heavily robbed and has probably been considerably larger. Upright stones protruding through the turf covering indicate the positions of the chamber and passage, which have been entered from the NE, where two low portal stones remain at the cairn edge. A bipartite chamber plan is indicated by a transverse slab 6ft behind the inner portals.
A S Henshall 1963; RCAHMS 1911
A grass-covered cairn 12.5m in diameter and 1.2m high, generally as described above.
Visited by OS (JLD) 21 April 1960
No change. Visited by OS (JM) 12 October 1978
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 186, No. 539 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 321, SUT 36; Plan (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 186, No. 539.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 321, SUT 36; Plan.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 5498 5260 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:1798 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1798 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5380 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.