MHG12734 - Kinvonvie
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
NC60NW 14 6002 0663.
(NC 6002 0663) Tumuli (NR)
OS 6"map, Sutherlandshire, 1st ed., (1873)
A group of about half a dozen mounds of the ordinary type, all grass-grown.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.
Turf-covered mounds, almost certainly field clearance heaps. One of the largest has a hollowed-out top, not unlike a kiln.
Visited by OS (W D J) 28 June 1963.
From nine to a dozen clearance heaps occur over an area of nearly a hectare. The largest, an alleged cairn (Information contained in letters from T C Welsh to OS, 20 August 1969 and 4 April 1971) (NC60NW 18) is almost undoubtedly a clearance heap, dug into at sometime in the past. No measurable cultivation plots or hut circles are evident.
Visited by OS (J B) 7 October 1980.
Gordon R, 1636-52, Sutherland Strath Okel & Strath Carron (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2271.
Forbes W, 1820, Sutherlandshire (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2203.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 145, No. 415 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Forbes W. 1820. Sutherlandshire.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Gordon R. 1636-52. Sutherland Strath Okel & Strath Carron.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 145, No. 415.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 6002 0662 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5428 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.