MHG1280 - Broch, Tulach Beag
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
Tulach Beag (NAT) Broch (NR) OS 6" map, (1963)
Broch, Tulach Beag: At Tormsdale, about 1.75 miles up Thurso River from Westerdale and some 40 yds back from its right bank, are remains of a broch. The stones have been to a great extent removed from the ruin and the outer face of the wall is at no place visible. The diameter over all seems to have been about 58ft. Towards NW, a portion of the interior of a chamber is exposed. The greatest elevation is some 5ft.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910.
A large mound of earth and stone, maximum height 1.6m and measuring overall 19m N-S by 20m transversely. A portion of a collapsed chamber can be seen in the top of the mound at the NW. A slight dip in the bank on S side may indicate a possible entrance. No traces of inner or outer faces of broch wall are visible.
Visited by OS (W D J) 12 April 1961.
No change. Visited by OS (J B) 22 February 1982. OS plan, photo
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 33-4, No. 107 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1459 4979 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8235 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.