MHG12835 - Feith Osdail Bridge
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BRIDGE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
c.1816; single segmental arch across the Grudei Burn on the road from Lairg to Rosehall. <1>
The bridge was listed at Category C in 1979.
In 2014 ARCH provided a number of courses, field trips and other activities exploring and researching the remains of the 19th century engineer, road and church builder Thomas Telford. A project was undertaken in Kyle of Sutherland, during which many sites were visited and photographed by participants. The bridge was visited and photographed during this project. <2>
GIS spatial data amended in 2018 according to OS MasterMap.<3>
- <1> Text/Manuscript: Calder, Sinclair B.. 1974. The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland: A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900. The University of Strathclyde.
- <2> Dataset/Database File: Kruse, S.. 2015. Telford in the Kyle of Sutherland Project. Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). Yes. Digital. Site 17.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NC 5748 1394 (21m by 19m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (4)
- http://kweimar.de/Bilder_XML.php?ket=HL083 (View more information on this bridge from a website about Highland Bridges)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB8018 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://www.archhighland.org.uk/telford-in-kyle-of-sutherland.asp (Visit the ARCH Telford in the Kyle of Sutherland Project page)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5209 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.