MHG12874 - Battle Site, Druim Na Coibe
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BATTLE SITE (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
- None recorded
Site of the (NAT) Conflict of Druim na Coibe (NR) (AD 1429) OS 6" map (1961)
The site of a battle between MacKays of Strathnaver and the Sutherlands and Murrays, the MacKays being victorious. All authorities agree that the battle was fought at beginning of 15th century but given dates range from 1427 to 1433. Similarly each authority has his own spelling of the name. There are said to have been 1200 to 1500 men on the Sutherland-Murray side, and the nearby field clearance heaps, etc (NC55SE 9) are said to be the graves of the slain, although MacKay (1892) mentions one mound in particular in which they were supposed to be buried.
Sir R Gordon 1813; J Horsburgh 1870; J MacKay 1892; A MacKay 1914; H F Campbell 1920
At the supposed site of the clan battle are numerous peat-covered mounds, which are probably all natural; one which was dug into covered a tree stump. To SW of the ridge are two burial cairns (See NC55SE 19)and several clearance heaps (NC55SE 9). The tradition that these mounds are the graves of the slain survives locally. Visited by OS (NKB) 7 November 1978
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Horsburgh, J. 1870. 'Notes of cromlechs, duns, hut-circles, chambered cairns, and other remains, in the County of Sutherland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 7, 1866-8, pp 271-9. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 276.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Mackay, J. 1892. 'Sutherland place names - Farr and Tongue', Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness Vol. 17 1890-1, p.101-25. Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness. 101-25. 117-18.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Campbell, H F. 1920. Caithness and Sutherland. 124.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Weber, H (ed). 1813. Genealogical history of the Earldom of Sutherland by Sir Robert Gordon of Gordonstoun. 64-7.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Beaton, D (ed.). 1914. History of the Province of Caithness and Sutherland from the Earliest Times to 1615. 100.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 5690 5190 (50m by 50m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5347 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.