MHG12876 - Standing Stones, Ribigill
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- STONE CIRCLE (Undated)
- None recorded
NC55SE 13 582 541.
Three upright stones near Ribigill (NC 582 541) were called a 'Teampul' by the old people. They were broken up by Mr. Mitchell, the 'late' farmer in 1867 in which year they had been built into a dyke at the roadside. The hillock on which they stood was still known as 'Croc-tigh-goil', the hillock of the school-house.
J Horsburgh 1870
Neither the site nor the name is known locally.
Visited by OS (AA) 30 June 1971
No change. Visited by OS (JM) 26 September 1978
Horsburgh, J, 1870, 'Notes of cromlechs, duns, hut-circles, chambered cairns, and other remains, in the County of Sutherland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 7, 1866-8, pp 271-9, 276 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1182.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 5820 5410 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5349 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.