MHG12889 - Shin Viaduct
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- RAILWAY VIADUCT (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
NH59NE 30 5784 9525 to 5792 9529
The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland (A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900, pp. 70, 71-72, 73) - Sinclair B Calder, 1974
J Aitken : 19/2/2004
Oykel Viaduct [NAT]OS 1:10,000 map, 1992.
(Location cited as NH 579 953). Shin Viaduct, built 1867 for the Sutherland Rly. by engineers Joseph Mitchell and Murdoch Paterson. It is an iron-truss bridge of length 230 ft (70.1m) with two tall semicircular-arched approach spans at the S end and three at the N.J R Hume 1977.
This viaduct was built to carry the Dingwall-Wick extension of the Inverness and Ross-shire Rly across the Kyle of Sutherland; it opened to traffic on 13 April 1868, was strengthened by the addition of further ironwork in 1912-13, and remains in use.
It comprises a 280 ft (85.3m) lattice girder main span and five stone approach arches, each of 30 ft (9.1m) span.
M Smith 1994.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). 312.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Nelson, G. 1990. Highland Bridges. Paperback. 154-5.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Smith, M. 1994. British railway bridges and viaducts. 84-5.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Tatlow, P. 1985. Highland railway miscellany: a pictorial record of the company's activities in the public eye and behind the scenes. pl. 138.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Vallance, H A. 1985. The Highland railway. 4th, extd. 35.
- --- Text/Manuscript: Calder, Sinclair B.. 1974. The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland: A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900. The University of Strathclyde.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5790 9527 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://kweimar.de/Bilder_XML.php?ket=10_06 (View more information on this bridge from a website about Highland Bridges)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB279 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13013 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.