MHG12958 - Medieval trough and bog butter find - near Durness, Sutherland
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Norse to Medieval - 800 AD to 1559 AD)
- None recorded
RMS SHC 9. Found waterlogged in peat cutting; recovered in pieces and conserved with acetone resin. Worked from one solid log of oak and contained irregular pitted lump of bog butter some 340mm long. <1>
Carved rectangular oak trough with rim handles, dated to 1010 +/- 80 ad (OxA-3010). NMS SHC 9. <2>
Location cited as NC 40 67. Rectangular handled trough found in peat-cutting 1969 and dated to 960-1260 AD (OxA-3010). NMS SHC 9 (trough) and 10 (butter).
NMRS, MS/996/1. <3>
Similar to trough found at Loch Glashan crannog, Mid Argyll. <4>
The original published NGR for the findspot of this trough is clearly incorrect and although the location in <3> is closer, it is the corner of a grid square that happens to contain Durness itself. In the absence of a definite grid reference the NGR has been moved to that in <3> - IS-L 20/8/2012.
This record is a duplicate of MHG12049, with both describing a trough with bog butter, now in the NMS under Acc. No. SHC 9. The former grid reference for this record, NC 387 368 is erroneous, as the northing should be 638 instead of 368, as is given in MHG12049. HES Canmore has merged their equivalent two records in light of this. GW 22/05/2020
- --- Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. SHC 9, SHC 10.
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Close-Brooks, J. 1985. 'Some objects from peat bogs', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 114 1984, p.578-81. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 578-81. 580.
- <2> Text/Publication/Article: Earwood, C. 1993. 'The dating of wooden troughs and dishes', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 123 1993, p.355-62. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 355-62. 356-7; illus 1.
- <3> Text/Publication/Volume: Earwood, C. 1993. Domestic wooden artefacts in Britain and Ireland from Neolithic to Viking times. 100, 101, 274.
- <4> Text/Publication/Article: Earwood, C. 1991. 'The wooden artefacts from Loch Glashan crannog, Mid Argyll. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. Vol. 120 pp.79-94; fiche 1: E1-8. 80.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 40000 66999 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- TROUGH (Norse to Medieval - 800 AD to 1559 AD)
- BOG BUTTER (Norse to Medieval - 800 AD to 1559 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-001-988-C& (Link to NMS online collections database)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4752 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.