MHG12986 - Cnoc an Daimh
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
NC14SE 3 1667 4293.
(NC 1667 4293) Chambered Cairn (NR)
OS 6"map, (1968)
Cnoc an Daimh (Dun Carn Fhamhair): Round Cairn, Orkney-Cromarty, with polygonal chamber. The cairn is situated at nearly 300 ft OD, in a region of extensive craggy moorland. Built on a rocky outcrop, it is about 40 ft in diameter and still stands 6 ft high on the NW side. A small cliff of bare rock forms its edge on the SE. The entrance to the chamber seems to have been from the E or NE side where an upright stone 2 ft 3 ins high is visible 11 ft from the cairn edge. In the centre of the cairn the tops of four stones project 2 ft 3 ins to 3 ft above the debris and appear to define a polygonal chamber about 5 ft long.
A S Henshall 1963; RCAHMS 1911.
This chambered cairn is as described by Miss Henshall.
Revised at 1:10,000.
Visited by OS (J B) 19 May 1980.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 57, No. 169 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 313, SUT 20; plan, fig. 61 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 57, No. 169.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 313, SUT 20; plan, fig. 61.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 1666 4293 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:1787 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1787 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4598 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.