MHG12995 - Roman Coin and Medieval Seal Matrix - Dornoch

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • FINDSPOT (Roman to Medieval - 79 AD to 1559 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

A worn 'second brass' of Agrippa is said to have been found in Dornoch, though Macdonald (1934), to whom it was shown in 1931, considered that the occurrence so far north of so early a coin (63-12 BC) suggested a modern importation. Its present whereabouts are unknown.
G Macdonald 1934; A T Simpson and S Stevenson 1982.

Cast bronze vesica-shaped seal matrix with an integral suspension loop on the back, 13th/14th-century; recovered by metal detecting. The matrix bears the legend: 'S.IACOBI.CAPELLANI.DE.DORNAT' (James, chaplain of Dornoch) The device depicts a chalice flanked by two candles and the Hand of God descending from above. Further research may determine the individual to whom this seal belonged. It is an important artefact associated with the medieval cathedral and in fine condition. Dimensions 37 x 23mm.
Claimed as Treasure Trove (TT.30/05) and allocated to Historylinks Museum. <1> <2>

The seal matrix is pictured on the Dornoch Historylinks Image Library (No. 2599) and is listed under Acc. No. 2006_352. <3> <4>

Sources/Archives (7)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 7983 8961 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH78NE
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish DORNOCH

Finds (2)

  • COIN (Roman - 79 AD to 409 AD)
  • SEAL MATRIX (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (2)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.