MHG13010 - Chapel, Gedavolick, Nedd
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAPEL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Grave Yard (NAT) OS 6"map, Sutherland, 2nd ed., (1907)
'Sutherland Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855
Monumental inscription survey completed by A.S.Cowper & I.Ross.
The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuracies. First published 1989, reprinted 1991, 1996 & 1999.
J Aitken : 20/12/02
Chapel symbol shown with the place name Gedavatick. 'In 1793 there were burying grounds (all perhaps the sites of chapels) at Gedavolick near Loch Ned. . .' etc.
Orig Paroch Scot 1855.
Gedavolick included a list of burial places - context seems to indicate in use.
The graveyard is still in use and is known by the older inhabitants of the village as Gedamhullaich. There is no chapel associated with it, nor any local tradition of one.
Visited by OS (G H P) 16 April 1962.
No change. Visited by OS (J B) 13 August 1980.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: A.S.Cowper & I.Ross. 1989. Sutherland Monumental Inscriptions, pre 1855.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Sir John Sinclair (ed.). 1791-9. The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes. Vol. 16, 203.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: OPS. 1855. Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland. 2/2. 693; map.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 1356 3192 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4560 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.