MHG13030 - Kerb cairn - Glacbain
A kerb cairn at Glacbain.
Type and Period (2)
- KERB CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
- CIST (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
A kerb cairn at Glacbain.
NC 2231 1201. A small cairn, 5.0m in diameter and 0.3m high, at the N end of a knoll, has almost been cleared. The stone kerb is of irregular stones set on edge. Within, is a cist, 3 ft long by 0.4m deep, with the cover stone, now broken, lying beside it.
Visited by OS (F R H) 5 June 1962.
This cairn, partially turf-covered, is on a prominent spur on the N side of a hill summit. There is an angular look to the kerb setting, particularly in the S where the blocks, undoubtedly in situ, form a straight edge. The cairn measures 4.1m across E-W; an accurate transverse measurement is not possible due to depletion of the NW quarter but would certainly appear to have been greater. The cist measures 1.1m long by 0.5m by 0.4m deep; the cap stone, broken, lies displaced across the cist.
Revised at 1:10560.
Visited by OS (J M) 29 July 1980.
Surveyed by the Assynt's Hidden Lives project in November 2009. This cairn consists of a small, sub-rounded cairn located on top of a small hill some distance to the S of the A835. Some angular/sub-angular kerb stones on the outer edge survive to between 0.4-0.7m high, but most of the rest of the cairn structure has been lost. A cist remains in the centre of the cairn measuring c.1.1m by 0.5m, aligned NW-SE, but the capstones have been broken and the cist has been heavily disturbed. No obvious re-use or phasing is apparent.<1>
Photographs of the kerb cairn and its views were submitted to the HER in November 2010. <2>
The cairn was proposed for Scheduling by Historic Environment Scotland as part of their North West Cairns Project. The scheduling came into effect as of 17/09/2018. <3>
GIS spatial data amended in 2019 according to location of site as seen on 2009 vertical APs. <4>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Cavers, G & Hudson, G. 05/2010. Assynt's Hidden Lives: An archaeological survey of the parish. AOC Archaeology Group and Historic Assynt. 01/08/2010. Digital. 19, p.73-4.
- <2> Text/Correspondence: Woodley, H. 11/2010. Information and photographs from Helen Woodley. Yes. Digital.
- <3> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2018. Addition to the Schedule of Monuments: SM13704: Glacbain, cairn 270m NE of. Historic Environment Scotland. 19/09/2018. Digital.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NC 2230 1201 (16m by 16m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM13704 (View online HES designation record)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4644 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.