MHG13031 - Chambered Cairn, Ledmore River
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
NC21SW 3 2382 1215.
Chambered Cairn (NR) OS 6"map, (1967)
About half a mile ESE of most SE arm of Cam Loch, on low-lying ground between high road and river, is a large circular cairn, with a diameter of about 55ft and 6ft in height. The entrance passage to the now roofless chamber is from E side. At centre of cairn, tops of four large stones can be seen, and suggest the presence of a polygonal chamber about 8 ft wide. Several other large slabs, probably from the roof, are lying about.
RCAHMS 1911; A S Henshall 1963. <1>, <2>
A large circular cairn, 2m high on S, as described above.
Visited by OS (R D L) 5 June 1962.
The passage and lintel are still visible but no orthostats of chamber can be seen.
J M Howell 1976, No. 45, plan (see archive)
Revised at 1:10,000. Visited by OS (N K B) 1 September 1980.
Surveyed by the Assynt's Hidden Lives project in November 2009. This site sits on ground c.25m from the A835 which slopes slightly from NW to SE. The chambered cairn is roughly circular in plan but appears to have been heavily robbed or disturbed. It is constructed of rough, irregular gathered stones with an average diameter of 0.3-0.5m. Occasional larger stones of up to 1m long are visible towards the top of the cairn as described in the NMRS entry for 1963. No trace of the chamber can be seen, although there are several depressions in the upper surface. There is no sign of an entrance in the east or of the lintels observed in 1976. <3>
- --- Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- <1> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 4-5, No. 12.
- <2> Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 323, SUT 40; plan, fig. 67.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Cavers, G & Hudson, G. 05/2010. Assynt's Hidden Lives: An archaeological survey of the parish. AOC Archaeology Group and Historic Assynt. 01/08/2010. Digital. 17, p.72.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 2382 1215 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1804 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4643 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.