MHG13033 - Chambered Cairn - Cnoc Breac
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
NC21SW 16 218 114.
NC 218 114. A possible small chambered cairn with an entrance passage and chamber visible.
Information contained in letter from R le N Noble to J Close-Brooks, 10 December 1979.
This feature was not located despite a thorough search of the general area of the map reference.
Visited by OS (J M) 11 August 1980.
A visitor to the HER website submitted photographs of a possible candidate for this 'lost' cairn. From the photographs it is not clear whether any entrance passage and/or chamber are visible. The site is on very steep W facing slopes, and there are a lot of natural mounds and morraine across the slopes above Elphin. <1> <2> <3>
This feature may be what has also been described as a hut circle at NGR 222192 911156 (see MHG57264).
- <1> SHG22709 Text/Correspondence: Private individual. 2008-11. Feedback from website visitor. Yes. Digital. Helen Woodley, 29/10/10.
- <2> SHG25391 Text/Manuscript: Woodley, H. 2010. Cnoc Breac hummocks and banks. Yes. Digital.
- <3> SHG25050 Text/Correspondence: Woodley, H. 11/2010. Information and photographs from Helen Woodley. Yes. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 2179 1140 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4641 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.