MHG13040 - Cnoc Bad Na Cleithe
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 551 BC)
NC21SW 1 2405 1464.
Immediately W of S end of Loch Awe, at elevation of about 200ft above it, and just above an old enclosure studded with heaps of stones (which do not appear to be of a sepulchral nature) is a cairn, 7ft to 8ft high and measuring 63ft N-S by 70ft transversely; the ground falls away sharply to E and extra length of diameter along this axis may be due to slip. On top, 15ft from N edge, is a depression running S for about 20ft and measuring 10ft across at its greatest width, and there is nother hollow towards E. Neither of
these shows signs of recent excavation. There are some large slabs lying about on top of cairn, but there is no sign of either chamber or cist exposed.
RCAHMS 1911; A S Henshall 1963.
NS 2405 1464. A massive cairn on a N-facing slope 19.5m N-S by 20.5m transversely, 2.5m high. The adjacent enclosure is an old field wall, and there are, within the area, several small clearance heaps. Visited by OS (RDL) 2 June 1962.
(NC 2405 1464) Chambered Cairn (NR) OS 6"map, (1967)
No change. There is no evidence of a chamber. Revised at 1:10,000. Visited by OS (N K B) 1 September 1980.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 4, No. 10 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 324, No. 42 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 4, No. 10.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 324, No. 42.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 2404 1463 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:1807 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1807 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4634 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.