MHG13042 - Loch Borralan
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- BUILDING? (Undated)
- None recorded
NC21SE 8 2644 1084.
(NC 2644 1084) A sub-circular enclosure, 16m in diameter with walls 0.5m in both width and height, lies on the edge of Loch Borralan.
J M Howell 1976, No. 44 (see archive MS/120/1) <1>
The turf-covered remains of an early modern enclosure as planned by Howell (see archive MS/120/1)
Visited by OS (N K B) 23 June 1980.
Surveyed by the Assynt's Hidden Lives project in November 2009. Recorded as in a mostly ruinous condition. Identified as a series of turf covered banks forming an enclosure adjacent to Loch Borralan are located on a small promontory. Dimensions average 11m by 6m, aligned E/W. No obvious function of these banks could be determined, nor is their any indication of probable date. <2>
- --- Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Mercer, R. J. & Howell, J.M.. 1980. Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland, 1976-1979. University of Edinburgh. 30/01/1980. Paper and Digital. 156, LOU 44.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Cavers, G & Hudson, G. 05/2010. Assynt's Hidden Lives: An archaeological survey of the parish. AOC Archaeology Group and Historic Assynt. 01/08/2010. Digital. 1, p.66.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 2644 1083 (60m by 60m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4632 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.