MHG13054 - Cairn (site of), Stronechrubie
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
NC21NW 1 2482 1924.
(NC 248 191) Cairn, Stronechrubie (Uncertain type): The site, by a burn, is very ruined, but there seems to be last remnants of a cairn, now only traceable for 20' E-W. There is a group of four stones on W side of cairn arranged in an arc facing downhill on WSW. The arc is 17' across and 3' deep. The largest stone is 4' high. The arrangement suggests a facade at entrance to a chambered cairn such as at Achany. The top of a fifth stone can just be seen behind S end of facade, aligned E-W.
The NSA's reference to "a mass of stone and lime, etc" (NSA 1845) may perhaps refer to same site.
A S Henshall 1963; NSA (C Gordon) 1845.
When revisited 8.10.1963 this site had been removed during road widening. A S Henshall 1972.
This cairn was bulldozed away in 1962 during road constructions by Mr Moffat who pointed out site at NC 2482 1924. A search was made for relics at time but nothing was found. (Info from Mr W Moffat, Kylesku Hotel)
Visited by OS (A A) 21 August 1974.
NSA, 1845, The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy, Vol. 15, Sutherland, 112 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2597.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 330, No. 56; plan, fig. 70 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
Henshall, A S, 1972, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 2, 580 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG358.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol. 15, Sutherland, 112.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 330, No. 56; plan, fig. 70.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1972. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 2. 2. Paper (Original). 580.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 2481 1924 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4620 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.