MHG13102 - Ledmore

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • FIELD SYSTEM (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

A series of interoonneoting banks, 0.2m high, probably assooiated with Ledmore oroft. <1>

Enolosures, banks, ruinous walls eto., assooiated with early modern land use. (OSFI:NKB:1.9.80)

Visited by the Assynt's Hidden Lives project in December 2009. An L-shaped earthen bank was found close to the previously cited NGR. This may be a remnant of an enclosure which was part of the field system listed as MHG13102. The bank was up to 1.5m wide and stood up to 0.7m high. It was truncated by the A837 to the south-east, terminates after 16m to the north-west and is aligned NW/SE. <2>


<1> Mercer, R. J. & Howell, J.M., 1980, Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland, 1976-1979, LOU 47 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG2510.


<2> Cavers, G & Hudson, G, 05/2010, Assynt's Hidden Lives: An archaeological survey of the the parish, 104, p.115 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG24882.

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NC 2490 1208 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NC21SW
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish ASSYNT

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (0)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.