MHG13106 - Ledmore
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FIELD BOUNDARY (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
A grass-covered curving wall 30 x 50m by 0.3m high (NC 2496 1336). <1>
'Wall. A grass-covered curving wall.
'Abandoned early modern land use.' (OSFI:NKB:1.9.80)
Surveyed by the Assynt's Hidden Lives project in November 2009. This site is located on the lower slopes of a very steep hill, in terrain which slopes fairly gently from SE to NW and is situated within rough heather and bracken moorland. The site consists of long, rounded, earthen turf-covered banks, forming three sides of an enclosure. The banks are fairly well-preserved surviving to a height of up to 0.7m and approximately 0.8-1m wide at base with quite steeply sloping sides in places. The banks run on the north side for a length of about 70m, the east side for about 30m, and on the west side curving towards the south for a length of 80m. A very large gap/entrance is present between the ends of the west and east banks but it is unclear whether this derives from post-abandonment disturbance. <2>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Mercer, R. J. & Howell, J.M.. 1980. Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland, 1976-1979. University of Edinburgh. 30/01/1980. Paper and Digital. Paper 4:LED 8.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Cavers, G & Hudson, G. 05/2010. Assynt's Hidden Lives: An archaeological survey of the parish. AOC Archaeology Group and Historic Assynt. 01/08/2010. Digital. 15, p.71-2.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 2495 1336 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.