MHG13110 - Ledmore
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- (Former Type) SHEEP FOLD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Sheepfold. Diameter: 17.0m, circular. Grass covered. Close to end of field ystem. Elevation: 152m aD. NC 247 125. <1>
Visited by the Assynt's Hidden Lives project in December 2009. Located on gently sloping ground overlooking the Ledmore River to the south-west there is an earthen bank enclosure (previously listed as a sheepfold). It encloses an area measuring 150m by 100m, standing to 1m and 2m in width. The enclosure is surrounded by heather moorland but itself surrounds an area of bracken and grass. There are no visible entrances although one may be obscured by one of the many truncated areas. The enclosure is also truncated by the A837 on its south-west end and a modern track to the east. <2>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Mercer, R. J. & Howell, J.M.. 1980. Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland, 1976-1979. University of Edinburgh. 30/01/1980. Paper and Digital. 12.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Cavers, G & Hudson, G. 05/2010. Assynt's Hidden Lives: An archaeological survey of the parish. AOC Archaeology Group and Historic Assynt. 01/08/2010. Digital. 100, p.114.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 2478 1256 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.