MHG13111 - Ledmore

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NC21SW 19 2458 1296

NC 2458 1296: A grass-covered, circular, banked enclosure, 30m in diameter.
R Mercer, Ledmore Survey No. 13, 1978.

Early modern land use.
Visited by OS (NKB) 1 September 1980.

An enclosure or field is shown on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1878, sheet lxxxii) and is depicted on the current edition of the OS 1:10,560 map (1967).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 19 September 1995

Surveyed by the Assynt's Hidden Lives project in November 2009. To the north of the Ledbeg junction, at the east side of the A837 there are the remains of an enclosure. Constructed of a turf bank it is up to 40m x 32m x 0.8, aligned E-W. The western side is largely truncated by the N-S track and there is no discernible entrance. <1>


Untitled Source (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG4459.


Untitled Source (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG4460.


Untitled Source (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG4461.


<1> Cavers, G & Hudson, G, 05/2010, Assynt's Hidden Lives: An archaeological survey of the the parish, 24, p.75 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG24882.

Sources/Archives (4)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NC 2458 1296 (60m by 60m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NC21SW
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish ASSYNT

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.