MHG13113 - Cnoc an T-Seagaill
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- (Former Type) BROCH? (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- MOUND (Undated)
- None recorded
? Broch. Diameter: 50m. Mound with walling. Grass cover. In association with rectangular (70m x 60m) enclosure. Elevation: 152m. (500') OD NC 246134. <1>
At NC 2443 1353, in a loop of the Ledbeg River,is a grass-covered conical mound which may cover the remains of a broch or other large structure. The shape and size of the mound suggest a human origin. An earthen (?) bank of later date crosses the W. side of the mound and cuts off the promontory, while a larger stone dyke, also cutting off the promontory, lies outside this to the W. This may be the broch (?) referred to by Mercer in <1> as lying at NC 246 134.
Letter to R J Mercer querying the location of the 'broch' appears never to have been answered. <2>
A very large, grass-covered, circular 12m diameter mound is situated on a natural grassy knoll. Previous surveyors noted the location as a possible broch, but although there are occasional scattered stones on the mound and despite the general circularity of the site there is little to support this identification. <3>
This record and MHG13105, in very close proximity and both with the same reference to Mercer, are possibly referring to the same mound. GW 10/08/20
- --- SHG4455 Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- --- SHG4456 Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- --- SHG4458 Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- <1> SHG2510 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Mercer, R. J. & Howell, J.M.. 1980. Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland, 1976-1979. University of Edinburgh. 30/01/1980. Paper and Digital. p.126; LED 15.
- <2> SHG24884 Text/Correspondence: Gourlay, R. 14/05/1987. Letter from R B Gourlay, Highland Region Archaeologist to R J Mercer.
- <3> SHG24882 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Cavers, G & Hudson, G. 05/2010. Assynt's Hidden Lives: An archaeological survey of the parish. AOC Archaeology Group and Historic Assynt. 01/08/2010. Digital. 143, p.135.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 2442 1352 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.