MHG1317 - Standing Stone, Rangag
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- STANDING STONE (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 551 BC?)
Standing Stone (NR) OS 1;10,000 map, (1975)
A four-sided stone pillar, about 2ft 9ins square, standing to a height of 9ft 5ins above ground level. It seems to face E, and is tilted slightly towards the W. On its S face, near the W edge and about 3ft above ground level, are some raised markings which have the appearance of sculpture, but are probably natural.
RCAHMS 1911; R W Feachem 1963.
As described above. Visited by OS (R L) 9 May 1967.
No change. Visited by OS (N K B) 6 December 1982.
The ordnance map marks another stone, about 800m to the NE, ND 183451. This stone is now lost; the farmer says it was lost during the war. It is thought to be marked on a map dated 1998 so the story may be inaccurate.
See assoc. docs for SMR ND26SW0003.
Information supplied by Olaf Swarbrick, 07/06/01.
J Aitken : 03/07/01.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 78, No. 284 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Feachem, R W, 1963, A Guide to Prehistoric Scotland, 74 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2187.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Feachem, R W. 1963. A Guide to Prehistoric Scotland. 1st. 74.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 78, No. 284.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1768 4487 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:473 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM473 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8274 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.